Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Number of NCAA student athletes in the United States in 2022, by gender. 2022. Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1098761/student-athletes-by-gender/. Accessed on 11 Apr 2023.
- Athletes' career transition out of sport: a systematic review.Int Rev Sport Exerc Psychol. 2013; 6: 22-53
- Athletes’ career development and transitions.in: Papaioannou A.G. Hackfort D. Routledge companion to sport and exercise psychology: Global perspectives and fundamental concepts. Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group, Philadelphia, PA2014: 605-620
- Engagement in sport career transition planning enhances performance.J Loss Trauma. 2019; 24: 1-8
- A developmental and holistic perspective on transitioning out of elite sport. In American Psychological Association Handbook of Sports and Exercise Psychology. Volume 1: Sport Psychology. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2019: 201-216
- Identity and athletic retirement: A prospective study.Psychol Sport Exerc. 2007; 8: 85-99
- Career transitions and career termination.in: Tenenbaum G. Eklund R.C. Handbook of sport psychology. 3rd edition. Wiley, New York2007: 712-736
- Factors contributing to the quality of the transition out of elite sports in Swiss, Danish, and Polish athletes.Psychol Sport Exerc. 2016; 29: 27-39
- The transition from collegiate sport: An analysis of the current retirement planning practices of NCAA institutions.J Study Sports Athletes Educ. 2021; : 1-17
- Post-collegiate athlete transitions and the influence of a coach.J Study Sports Athletes Educ. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1080/19357397.2021.1916338
- Examining a conceptual framework for transition experiences of former collegiate women’s soccer athletes.J Intercoll Sport. 2021; 14: 1-18
- The dome of silence: Sexual harassment and abuse in sport. Fernwood Publishing, Winnipeg, Canada2000
- International Olympic Committee consensus statement: harassment and abuse (non-accidental violence) in sport.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 1019-1029
- A Cross-Sectional Study of Retired Great British Olympians (Berlin 1936-Sochi 2014): Olympic Career Injuries, Joint Health in Later Life, and Reasons for Retirement from Olympic Sport.Sports Med Open. 2021; 7: 54
- Perceived Stress and Prevalence of Traumatic Stress Symptoms Following Athletic Career Termination.J Clin Sport Psychol. 2008; 2 (Available at:): 1-16
- Abandoning The Performance Narrative: Two Women's Stories of Transition from Professional Sport.J Appl Sport Psychol. 2009; 21: 213-230
- Career development and transition of athletes: The international society of sport psychology position stand revisited.Int J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2021; 19: 524-550
Wylleman P. A developmental and holistic perspective on transitioning out of elite sport. In APA Handbook of Sports & Exercise Psychology Volume 1. Sports Psychology. Edited by Anshel MH, Petrie TA, Steinfeldt JA. Chapter 11, American Psychological Association, Washington DC, pp 201-216. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1037/0000123-011.
- Definition and constituents of maltreatment in sport: establishing a conceptual framework for research practitioners.Br J Sports Med. 2009; 43 (Epub 2008 Nov 21. PMID: 19028734): 1091-1099
- Beneath the Surface: Mental Health and Harassment and Abuse of Athletes Participating in the FINA (Aquatics) World Championships, 2019.Clin J Sport Med. 2022; 32 (PMID: 34483238): 95-102
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other trauma-related mental disorders in elite athletes: a narrative review.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53 (Epub 2019 Apr 25. PMID: 31023859): 779-784
- Athlete Mental Health Impacts of Harassment and Abuse in Sport.in: Reardon C.L. Mental health care for elite athletes. Springer, Cham2022
- Prevalence of mental health symptoms among male and female Australian professional footballers.BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2021; 7: e001043
- The Mental Health of Elite Athletes: A Narrative Systematic Review.Sports Med. 2016; 46 (PMID: 26896951; PMCID: PMC4996886): 1333-1353
- Health outcomes among former female collegiate gymnasts: the influence of sport specialization, concussion, and disordered eating.Phys Sportsmed. 2021; 49 (PMID: 33186080): 438-444
- Current Physical and Mental Health of Former Collegiate Athletes.Orthop J Sports Med. 2014; 2 (2325967114544107)
Rahal S, Kozlowski K. 204 impact statements, 9 days, 2 counties, a life sentence for Larry Nassar. Detroit news; 2018. Available at: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/02/08/204-impact-statements-9-days-2-counties-life-sentence-larry-nassar/1066335001/. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- The prevalence and risk indicators of symptoms of common mental disorders among current and former Dutch elite athletes.J Sports Sci. 2017; 35: 2148-2156
- Forced Retirement from Professional Rugby Union is Associated with Symptoms of Distress.Int J Sports Med. 2017; 38: 582-587
- Prevalence and Correlates of Psychological Distress among Retired Elite Athletes: A Systematic Review.Int Rev Sport Exerc Psychol. 2019; 12: 265-294
- Developing mental health literacy and cultural competence in elite sport.J Appl Sport Psychol. 2021; 33: 387-401
- Put out to pasture: what is our duty of care to the retiring professional footballer? Promoting the concept of the ‘exit health examination’ (EHE)British.J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 788-789
- Empowering the health of retired professional footballers: the systematic development of an After Career Consultation and its feasibility.BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2018; 4: e000466