Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
NAMI. Understanding mental health crises. In: Navigating a Mental Health Crisis. 2018. Available at: https://www.nami.org/Support-Education/Publications-Reports/Guides/Navigating-a-Mental-Health-Crisis/Navigating-A-Mental-Health-Crisis?utm_source=website&utm_medium=cta&utm_campaign=crisisguide. Accessed November 28, 2022.
- Delivery models of emergency psychiatric care.in: Glick R.L. Zeller S.L. Berlin J.S. Emergency psychiatry: principles and practice. 2nd edition. Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia2021: 3-15
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Mental Health Services. Responding to a mental health crisis. In: Practice Guidelines: Core Elements in Responding to Mental Health Crises. 2009. Available at: https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/d7/priv/sma09-4427.pdf. Accessed November 23, 2022.
- Overview of project BETA: best practices in evaluation and treatment of agitation.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 1-2
- The psychopharmacology of agitation: consensus statement of the american association for emergency psychiatry project Beta psychopharmacology workgroup.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 26-34
- Current understanding of the neurobiology of agitation.West J Emerg Med. 2020; 21: 841-848
- Knowledge and attitude towards pharmacological management of acute agitation: a survey of psychiatrists, psychiatry residents, and psychiatric nurses.Acad Psychiatry. 2017; 41: 333-336
- Medical evaluation and triage of the agitated patient: consensus statement of the american association for emergency psychiatry project Beta medical evaluation workgroup.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 3-10
- Safety and security in psychiatric emergency services and emergency departments.in: Glick R.L. Zeller S.L. Berlin J.S. Emergency psychiatry: principles and practice. 2nd edition. Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia2021: 81-88
- Verbal de-escalation of the agitated patient: consensus statement of the american association for emergency psychiatry project BETA de-escalation workgroup.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 17-25
- Predictors of effective de-escalation in acute inpatient psychiatric settings.J Clin Nurs. 2016; 25: 2180-2188
- The support-control continuum: An investigation of staff perspectives on factors influencing the success or failure of de-escalation techniques for the management of violence and aggression in mental health settings.Int J Nurs Stud. 2018; 77: 197-206
- Patient perspectives on barriers and enablers to the use and effectiveness of de-escalation techniques for the management of violence and aggression in mental health settings.J Adv Nurs. 2018; 74: 614-625
- Staff perception of interprofessional simulation for verbal de-escalation and restraint application to mitigate violent patient behaviors in the emergency department.J Emerg Nurs. 2019; 45: 24-30
- De-escalation training as part of a workplace violence prevention program.J Nurs Adm. 2022; 52: 222-227
- An evaluation of nurses’ perception and confidence after implementing a workplace aggression and violence prevention training program.J Nurs Adm. 2020; 50: 209-215
- A systematic review: effectiveness of interventions to de-escalate workplace violence against nurses in healthcare settings.Saf Health Work. 2021; 12: 289-295
- Nonviolent crisis intervention training and the incidence of violent events in a large hospital emergency department: an observational quality improvement study.Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2014; 36: 177-188
- Behavior management on an acute brain injury unit: evaluating the effectiveness of an interdisciplinary training program.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2008; 23: 304-311
Crisis Prevention Institute. Nonviolent crisis intervention. 2022. Available at: https://www.crisisprevention.com/Our-Programs/Nonviolent-Crisis-Intervention. Accessed November 21, 2022.
The Mandt System. Experts who know workplace dynamics. 2020. Available at: https://www.mandtsystem.com/our-approach/. Accessed November 21, 2022.
- Use and avoidance of seclusion and restraint: consensus statement of the american association for emergency psychiatry project Beta seclusion and restraint workgroup.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 35-40
SAMHSA’s Trauma and Justice Strategic Initiative. SAMHSA’s trauma-informed approach: key assumptions and principles. In: SAMHSA’s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach. 2014. Available at: https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/d7/priv/sma14-4884.pdf. Accessed November 23, 2022.
- Positioning psychiatry as a leader in trauma-informed care (TIC): the need for psychiatry resident education.Acad Psychiatry. 2019; 43: 429-434
- Boarding of psychiatric patients in the emergency department: flow, throughput, and systemic change.in: Glick R.L. Zeller S.L. Berlin J.S. Emergency psychiatry: principles and practice. 2nd edition. Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia2021: 16-29
ACGME. ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Psychiatry. 2022. Available at: https://www.acgme.org/globalassets/pfassets/programrequirements/400_psychiatry_2022v2.pdf. Accessed November 19, 2022.
- A preliminary report on resident emergency psychiatry training from a survey of psychiatry chief residents.J Grad Med Educ. 2011; 3: 21-25
- Residency training in emergency psychiatry: a model curriculum developed by the education committee of the american association for emergency psychiatry.Acad Psychiatry. 2004; 28: 95-103
- Education and training in the psychiatric emergency service.in: Glick R.L. Zeller S.L. Berlin J.S. Emergency psychiatry: principles and practice. 2nd edition. Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia2021: 48-60
- Resident training in the psychiatric emergency service: duty hours tell only part of the story.J Grad Med Educ. 2011; 3: 26-30
- Postgraduate year-1 residency training in emergency psychiatry: an acute care psychiatric clinic at a community mental health center.J Grad Med Educ. 2010; 2: 462-466
- A systematic review of the prevalence of patient assaults against residents.J Grad Med Educ. 2012; 4: 296-300
- Psychiatric assessment of aggressive patients: a violent attack on a resident.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 253-259
- Survey of threats and assaults by patients on psychiatry residents.Acad Psychiatry. 2012; 36: 39-42
- Management of agitation and violence.in: Chanmugam A. Triplett P. Kelen G. Emergency psychiatry. Cambridge University Press, New York2013: 25-40
- The relationship between level of training and accuracy of violence risk assessment.Psychiatr Serv. 2012; 63: 1089-1094
- Quality of resident violence risk assessments in psychiatric emergency settings.Can J Psychiatry. 2012; 57: 375-380
- Using simulation to train junior psychiatry residents to work with agitated patients: a pilot study.Acad Psychiatry. 2013; 37: 38-41